Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The Voice Of AC Remembers Robert "Big Rob" Jones

Remembering 
Big Rob's
 Radio Show!

Today on what should be one of the happiest days of my life. I got some of the worst news of my life.
My friend and mentor
Robert Jones has passed away.
 Jones was and will always be remembered as a broadcast pioneer in Atlantic City on WUSS 1490 AM where his hip hop show BIG ROB'S RADIO SHOW aired.

There is a saying that goes something like this.
"It's nice to be important. But it's more important to be nice." 
Robert Jones was the personification of that saying.

I first met Robert Jones while playing little league base ball. His dad was a coach. Like most kids my age I took the dedication and coaching of his dad and the other coaches for granted.

By the time I got to highschool however, I asked Rob to thank his dad for me (even though his father coached against my team.) by highschool many of the kids that came through AC's Little League Programs began to understand the sacrifice of the coaches that came out every summer. Each and every one of them taught us valuable lessons from how to slide and steal a base to how to give back to your community and be an example.

Robert Jones like his dad was a great nice guy.

With regards to his contributions to Atlantic City radio he had one of the first local hip hop shows ever. Big Rob's Radio Show played the latest and also often aired interviews with popular artists of the day both national emcees and local heroes.

What I will always remember and why I am so sad today. Is because Rob seemed to follow my career and offer tips on how to expand what I do.
 
He always offered advice based on the perspective of "learn from my mistakes", not from "I know more than you."

Robert Jones is a class act. I have missed him on the air for more than 20 years....I will miss him as a friend for as long as I am here.

It is very great to be blessed with talent but if you aren't nice to be people it won't matter very much. Robert Jones is a man that will always mean a lot to me.

My name is Raymond Tyler and I along with everyone here at The Voice of Atlantic City, send or heartfelt condolences to Mr. Jones Family. 


2 comments:

  1. Always had a ball hanging out at 1490 with big Rob and big Robs rap session... My fondest memory was when naughty by nature stopped by and played Opp for us. They said it was the first time any radio station played it. R.I.P Big Rob

    ReplyDelete